30 April 2007

Edvard and his take-out [1]

The first thing I noticed was a flickering, blue - a flash - then a steady black and white. The large, brown-rimmed bifocals reflected the television set, his head tilted to look up at the small screen, his lap holding the square styrofoam take-out box. I only get quick glimpses of him as I walk by his I guess I should call it store. Usually, the crusty brown door is closed fast, with a cast-iron gate locked over the top of it - as if the door wasn't enough to keep people from stealing what amounts to a collection of old junk. The faded sign outside the door says "Original Vintage Movie Posters," thus explaing the forest of rolled up posters that surround him as he eats. I've only seen him on the street once; he was parallel parking his curtain-windowed, silver hearse.
 
« chicago blogs »