12 June 2008

US Open

Today marks the beginning of another US Open in golf. (I'm more of a US Open tennis fan, but oh well.) Anyhow, both tournaments, the one with clubs and the one with racquets, have been going for over 100 years. I wanted to mention it today because of its location in SoCal this year. Torrey Pines Golf Course is near San Diego and actually sits in La Jolla. (I went to school at Biola University in La Mirada, about ninety minutes or so north of San Diego.) When I was a freshman, we went down to La Jolla a few times (making the trip in about sixty minutes; oh, the idiocy of youth). We have a number of crazy stories and pictures to go with them; the stories I won't repeat and the pictures I can't find. Later, I took my future bride to a super-expensive dinner at George's At the Cove (I think we're still paying for it). At any rate, I guess I'm just reminiscing.

For all you golf geeks, you can keep track of the current leaders here. The current leaderboard says Rocco Mediate is ahead at 4 under, while Tiger is 1 under and Mickelson is 3 over. You can evn watch Tiger and Phil live online. That's a little bit eerie.
 
« chicago blogs »